- 2 cups drained well-cooked or canned chickpeas, reserve liquid
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste), optional, with some of its oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus oil for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Chopped Parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin or paprika
- 1 tablespoon Cardenas Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and begin to process; slowly add the chickpea liquid or water till you reach a smooth puree.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste. Serve, drizzled with the olive oil and your garnish!
Hummus Varieties (add to ingredients above):
Red Pepper: 1/2 cup of fresh or roasted red pepper
Beet: 1/2 cup of roasted beets
Make it a Meal!
Top your Hummus with sauteed ground lamb (see recipe below), fresh chopped herbs and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 lb ground lamb (or beef)
- 2 tablespoons Cardenas Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Cardenas Cranberry Orange Balsamic
- 2 cloved garlic
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- sea salt and pepper
- Saute onion in the olive oil, add ground lamb, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Once the meat is cooked drain excess liquid, add garlic and balsamic, sautee for additional 2 minutes
- Serve over hummus with fresh grilled pita.
Hummus Varieties (try a hummus trio by adding these ingredients to the above recipe):
Red Pepper: 1/2 cup of fresh or roasted red pepperBeet: 1/2 cup of roasted beets