- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 lb large red onions cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges and wedges cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Cardenas Lambrusco Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cardenas 25 Star White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 firm sweet apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 bay leaf
1. Heat olive oil in a 4-6 quart wide heavy pot over moderately heat, add onion and cabbage, stirring frequently, until wilted and slightly browned, about 15 minutes.
2. Add (1/4 cup red wine), water, vinegars, apple, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Add peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf
3. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is very tender, about 1 hours. Stir ever 15 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Hi Edward, 1/4 cup of red wine if you have it available. Thanks!
Direction #2 includes wine, but the ingredients do not list wine. How much wine should be added if it is being used?