- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb large red onions cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges and wedges cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Cardenas Lambrusco Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cardenas 25 Star White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 firm sweet apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 bay leaf
1. Heat olive oil in a 4-6 quart wide heavy pot over moderately heat, add onion and cabbage, stirring frequently, until wilted and slightly browned, about 15 minutes.
2. Add wine, water, vinegars, apple, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Add peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf
3. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is very tender, about 1 hours. Stir ever 15 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper as needed.