- 1 large bulb of garlic
- 3 pounds yellow-fleshed potatoes such as Yukon Gold
- 1 cup Cardenas Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Freshly chopped herbs (parsley, basil, or thyme... or all three!)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Slice the top ¼ of the head of garlic off, just enough to expose a bit of each clove. Drizzle with olive oil, and wrap tightly in foil. Roast garlic in middle of oven 30 minutes, or until soft. Once cool, unwrap garlic and squeeze softened garlic pulp into a small bowl.
While garlic is roasting, peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. In a 4-quart kettle cover potatoes with cold salted water by 2 inches and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander and transfer to a large bowl. With a potato masher mash potatoes. Add garlic pulp, 3/4 cup oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Continue mixing with the potato masher for lumpy potatoes, or an electric hand mixer for a smoother constancy. Fold in the finely chopped herbs.
Serve potatoes drizzled with remaining 1/4 cup oil.